wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Zero: Flower Blooms On The Ring Alone. 1

Zero: Flower Blooms On The Ring   Alone. 1 - Taiyo Matsumoto So, here's a seeming departure from the usual high literature I read and review. Here's a Japanese Manga (comic book), one of those things that in the USA, nerdy kids who need to get out of the house more read.Ok, yes, it IS one of those. But it's so much more. In this case, it's a story of a boxer nicknamed Zero, because he's never lost, nor even been knocked down. His strength is more that legendary, it's enough to be borderline supernatural. Zero is a story about power, and it's cost. Not in a Shakespearean live-by-the-sword-die-by-it sort of way, where the power itself is the downfall of the subject, but truly Zero examines the price within a man for his own power, his devotion, his perfection, and also the people who support him. Rarely has any work, much less a graphic work even begun to to approach Zero in it's understanding of the feelings of a coach, watching powerlessly in the face of victory or defeat. I can't say that most of you will or even should read this. If you're into serious soul-searching about the balance of humanity and power, or into Taoist philosophic martial arts, you'll probably find some serious fodder for thought here. What's so special is that Zero brings it's story with a minimum of text, and presents almost no ideas or exposition to make it's case. It evokes them purely, through the art, and the events. Anyone can simply expound on their ideas to force the reader to consider them. It takes a true art to make the reader think about something while never saying it's name.I'm sure that if anybody reads this review (doubtful) then there might be a few people who end up reading Zero, and being disappointed by finding nothing but a sort of crude boxing story, and be mad at me for saying I found all this other stuff inside of it. But one thing I learned many years ago now is that most secrets aren't actually secrets. It's just that people who aren't ready, can't see them. It's invisible. So maybe you have to be a certain person, with a certain background, who looks at the world a certain way. I suspect you know if you are. And if you are, you'll want to read this.