wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker

50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker - Lynn Alley At least in the edition on my desk at the moment, it does not mention that all the recipes are vegetarian. Ok, fine. The GR description does mention that, but I had to read quite a few recipes until I reached enough that made a point about substituting a specific meat item for something else before I started to figure it out. A glance at the forward leads to some preachy (and sadly, incorrect) facts about the raising, cooking, and consumption of meat. Ok, a preachy writer, nothing new. The reason I gave this book a single star is because when you combine the lazy publishing of not mentioning it's not only 50 recipes for slow cooker soup, but that it's also vegetarian (and somewhat militantly so), but the recipes take 'simple' to a new level. The recipes where the author's creativity has been employed are devoted to the odd "We're-making-meatless-food-mmmm-so-good-now-don't-you-hate-meat-too" sort. I'm honestly tired of books that just swap out meat or do some weirdness to TEACH me how wrong I am. There's simply too much good ALREADY meatless food, you seriously don't need to teach or ween me off of meat. Add to this the overly strident and frankly simpleminded claims about the horrors of meat (there ARE responsible livestock farmers, I KNOW some..so I don't want to hear more about it)So perhaps make a new cookbook, have it be vegetarian, perhaps make it a LITTLE LESS SIMPLE. That would be a much better cookbook, because this books problems overshadow a few solid recipes such as butternut squash and prunes, which looks good!