wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

It

It - Stephen King Compelling in stretches, the occasional turn of phrase here and there, but overall, a massive block of smooth to digest words signifying very little. It's an epic of horror, no doubt, but if you're going to spend 1,080 pages or so on a book, you might as well makes it awesome, I'd think. "It" isn't awesome, it's alright. Gripping sometimes, sure. Most of the time I felt like King was just about to take the controls and bring it to the next level, but he never did. This book has difficult themes, searing imagery, clever twists, and has them in spades. The only thing missing from this massive book being The Great American Horror Novel Ever is the prose. This would be understandable if King were unable to deliver great prose. But you're left with the feeling like he could have whenever he felt like it, but made conscious effort NOT to. Maybe he thought we wouldn't get it, or that ENOUGH of us wouldn't get it and he wanted to make sure we all could. I wish he'd trust us more.