wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Lights on a Ground of Darkness: An Evocation of a Place and Time

Lights on a Ground of Darkness: An Evocation of a Place and Time - Ted Kooser What to say. Kooser is one of, no...there can be no question...my favorite poet, living or dead. As strange as it would assuredly sound to him, a consideration one is forced to take when discussing the living, Mr. Kooser is one of the very few people I'd call a hero of mine. Certainly the only one living. Thanks to Goodreads, I found out about the existence of this little book a few weeks back, and managed to get a copy at my local library. I hope to acquire a copy for my personal library sometime when I can.What is Lights on a Ground of Darkness: An Evocation of a Place and Time? It's an evocation of a time, places, people, family, and relationships. In 60 pages, Kooser made me laugh hard twice, my eyes bug out with wonder once, and weep four times. That's a lot more than most authors can manage to do in 600 pages. I'd understand if the very young didn't get it, or disliked it. There IS a certain amount of aging required to feel a connection with the past, if for no other reason than as it slips silently past you, you begin to feel your own past and relationships grow further and further away, like the sound of a ship's bell on a dark night, you cannot see it, but the sound tells you of it's passing. As you feel this loss, you grow more interested, eager, perhaps even a little worried about remembering, preserving, keepsafeing your memories but also those of others, as though somehow locking them away behind museum glass, appropriately framed and labeled will preserve their meaning to the crowds of disinterested and bored children made to file past on a field trip. This reminds me of the protagonist in Slow Man and his thoughts about the photographs he wills to the state when he passes.But you'll feel the constant impact of memory and emotion in this book. I so very much want to describe each and every passage where I could feel along with him, but I also very much hope you'll instead read this little book, and feel it for yourself.