wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Coward (Criminal, Vol. 1)

Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward - Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips A heist tale of a plan gone wrong, featuring a motley collecting of criminals and crooked cops featuring a master thief who lives by a rigid code which causes people to dislike him. Often times my praise of graphic novels is partly for their inventiveness in storytelling, or graphic design. To be honest I didn't find striking art or storytelling here. The characters are, however, quite attractive and presented in a different form (film, tv, a much longer graphic novel) I would have loved this despite it's shortcomings, since despite being predictable cliches of other noir characters seen so often, the writer manages to make them oddly compelling. We aren't permitted any time to get to know most of them, and for many their time is all too fleeting on the page. This is a major disappointment, and three stars are only for the feeling of coming close. I couldn't suggest going out of your way to read it, but if you happen across it, it's enjoyable enough.