wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Moonwalking with Einstein - Review

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything - Joshua Foer

In this fascinating little book (why a 320 page book seems 'little' is another story) Mr. Foer – brother to the recently famous author of a book apparently involving both immediate proximity and copious volume of noise – examines the story behind the 'athletes' of competitive memory championships. In doing so he falls Plimpton-like into the story and ends up himself competing in a U.S. Memory Championship. Along the way he tells us some of the techniques used to achieve some of the more colorful feats required, the background and history of it, and some of interesting personalities that inhabit that world, along with some fascinating insight into the functioning (or indeed malfunctioning) of the human brain. Some may feel that the trope of the Look-What-I-Did-For-A-Year-Then-Wrote-A-Book-About-It has been done to death, and perhaps it has. But rarely has it been done so well, and rarely has it been so well worth your while to read it anyway. Well worth it.