wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Their Number Become Thinned - Review

Their Number Become Thinned: Native American Population Dynamics in Eastern North America (Native American historic demography series) - Henry F. Dobyns

To a potential fellow reader, I should warn you that this isn't the type of history you'll find influenced by literary narration devices such as the excellent John Adams, by David McCullough, but instead a gritty, numbers-driven collection of essays packed with tables and charts and consideration of plant species and epidemiological data. This is, however, exactly why it's such a great book.

My warning complete, I will tell you that this is a great work, filled with fascinating information and data, and what surely must be the most complete study of aboriginal American culture on the Florida peninsula. I will admit I did read some of it lightly, as I was studying the book for purely epidemiological reasons, but I ended up reading the entire thing just because it was so interesting.
Highly Recommended - if you can read what I like to call "extreme history" - meaning it's filled with minute detail, data, and evidence...not "ripping good yarns". This is the story of life and death of a people, not a tale of individuals. I wouldn't want someone disappointed in what they picked up. But don't get the impression that there isn't a treasure trove of fascinating information here, because there is! The serious historian will fall in love.