wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

World Made by Hand: A Novel

World Made by Hand - James Howard Kunstler Wow, there are certainly some odd reviews of this book. I, on the other hand, loved this book: In short, it's the story of a man dealing with the natural change within a post-apocalyptic community once the worst of it ends and some semblance of society tries to get going again. It's richly and realistically set, and addresses the real challenges and probable situations these people would find themselves in, and finds realistic solutions. It's perhaps the most 'optimistic' view of dystopia you'll encounter, but afterwards you might well think as I did that perhaps Kunstler's view of a post-apocalypse America is MORE realistic than other writers visions precisely because it takes into account man's effort to rebuild and adapt to a new world. Now, there ARE some things that I'm leaving out, and readers might enjoy or be thrown by them, but I don't think they can be discussed without spoiling the story at least a little. Kunstler does a great job of not only bringing his credentials as a writer on peak oil and apocalypse though, and the book is lushly written and he does a great job of evoking the landscape of his characters and their new relationship with the earth. Some have complained that the book seems to imply society has simply rolled back to an 1830's world, complete with gender roles and language. I can see where they would complain about that, but it's not something I share as I feel the book presents a realistic idea of small community. Afterall, you speak intimately and directly to people thanks to either the supposed anonymity of the internet, or because you have an absolute confidence in the rule of law...perhaps you'd be a little more stilted and formal if your personality was tempered by a little fear and anxiety. So I highly recommend this book, espially for those already reading dystopian fiction. You might find this your favorite of the bunch!