wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Alas, Babylon

Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank Allow me to start with the small negatives you'll think of when you read this book: The writing is a little dated - the 1950's-1960's era style so common to many books written in those two decades. Some readers might not care for the ways the author depicts female characters, I know I felt slightly uncomfortable at times, but again, perhaps that's more the time it was written, I don't know.----Those small things aside, it's an enjoyable read. The setting is what at the time I'm sure was a near-future 1960's where an atomic war breaks out between the USA and the USSR. The books deals with "The Day", and what comes after for a group of (go figure) lucky and resourceful people living in a nearly ideal location in south Florida. Sounds pretty unremarkable thus far, but the book will charm you with their personalities, even as cliché as many of them are. When the book builds up to a climax, even if it's somewhat predictable, it does a great job of building the tension. Even more enjoyably, it deals with enough aftermath to leave you feeling like you've read a complete story, not just a snapshot in a catastrophe. You won't feel as though the story ended too soon or too late. This book is a nice little package of "Just Right".