wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon This is a book that's easy to see people giving up on, or getting confused by. Not that it's hard to follow, it's not. But your expectations will be played with, rewarded, and punished, at different times. Roll with it, and just enjoy. The impatient will at times be frustrated with seemingly pointless details crammed into many spaces, and I feel your pain. The rhythms of this book are like that of life, sometimes long periods are filled with tedium, other times the most meaningful or frightening moments last only a few seconds. At times I found the prose of the book simply dazzling, a word I come back to again and again when thinking about this book. One section of the book is so daring in it's execution, I know I'll keep it in mind for the rest of my life. Good sushi is a study of contrasts and complements. Several mild notes that alone amount to little, but together form a gentle, yet deeply touching experience, but just at the moment you are aware of this harmony, the acid bite of a single drop of vinegar, or the spicy slap of wasabi reminds you that a little contrast can show you what all that harmony is really for. This book, like sushi, might not be for everyone, but for those who are receptive, have a lot of "Umami" to look forward to.