wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

1776: The Illustrated Edition

1776 - David McCullough McCullough's book sets for itself a narrow scope, presumably with the intent of focusing a magnifying glass on a time, place, and persons of critical importance to the revolution. He clearly succeeds, but leaves me wanting more. In 1776, we cover the movements, battles, and decisions of the year, more or less ending with the triumphs of Trenton and Princeton. In the process, we see our first president suffer setbacks and the consequences of poor decisions. The author does a brilliant job of creating literary narrative of historic events and provides us with the details in a colorful way. It is deserving of the awards and praise, but I cannot leave the subject with the smallest of complaint: I wanted more. But perhaps I'm alone in enjoying the massive, thorny texts I do. All readers should enjoy this book greatly!