wjmcomposer

wjmcomposer

Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
China Miéville
Operation Greylord: The True Story of an Untrained Undercover Agent and America's Biggest Corruption Bust
Terrence Hake, Wayne Klatt
My Struggle: Book 2: A Man in Love
Karl Ove Knausgård, Don Bartlett
James Madison
Ralph Louis Ketcham
The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines, and the Secret Mission of 1805
Richard Zacks

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card Child geniuses are developed and trained by the government to save the world. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is one of them.There are some objectionable things to get out of the way first of all:#1: The author has what IMO are horrid and un-defendable views on...well, almost everything.#2: The author (Because of? Despite?) somehow then manages to keep kids naked for half the book and there were a few scenes which stood out to me as a little creepy (there is no sexuality of any sort that I recall, however.)#3: Almost everything about this author as a man makes my skin crawl, encompassing nearly everything he's ever said about anything, but at the end of the day, I'm reading fiction, not having lunch with the guy.This book was very enjoyable, though like many of the genre it is heavy on concept, mood, and philosophy while being light in nuance, prose, and artistry. I'm not trashing it, just pointing out that most sci-fi books are judged almost entirely on the level of the concept, not the execution. And, in fact, books heavy on such execution are often not what many habitual readers of the genre are interested in. That out of the way, I have to say that the concept is only of some interest, the development of the concept is what makes this book pleasurable. The author does an outstanding job of setting the mental/emotional stage of the main character and dragging him through the created world. Some characters, including the deuteragonist suffer a bit in comparison, falling into overly supportive roles without enough of their own motivations other than where expressly deigned to be antagonistic. At the end of the day, am I looking for great art or cheap fun? Sometimes, as I found in this book, something in between is just fine, even if the author gives me the heebie-jeebies.